Modern renters expect to take care of business online. A tenant portal allows your valuable residents to conduct business with you in a single place. A well-organized website, full of valuable information, will position you above the competition and your residents will love you for it!
Give your renters what they’re looking for
Well-designed multifamily property management software makes life easy for you and residents. This software is a viable option to designing and managing your own property management website. Whichever option you choose, keep in mind prospective renters seek online features that make renting a breeze.
When choosing your online options start with a few essential items your tenants will need.
For prospective residents
Start at the beginning. You have a potential new resident. What would they want to see to make a decision about living at your community? Your website is their introduction to your world. When prospective residents visit you online they want to see
- Standard floor plans
- Photos and videos of available units
- Your proximity to town amenities
- Your property amenities
- A FAQ page – with links to your social media sites
- Upcoming community events and news
- Tenant incentive programs
Of course they’ll want to fill out an application! And when a prospect can complete and submit a rental application on the spot, you minimize your risk of losing them to the competition.
For your brand new resident
Let’s assume everything checks out, the money clears and you give your prospective resident the green light. A well-organized tenant portal allows residents to
- Exchange shared documents
- Complete and sign lease agreements
- Make security deposit and rent payments
- Enroll in tenant incentive programs
- Download a PDF copy of your tenant handbook
- Sign off on video and/or photos of individual unit inspections
Help your new resident settle in
Another important part of your tenant portal is your new resident orientation page. This page is for tenants about to move-in or those freshly moved-in. Information is valuable, so approach this page as if you just moved into town. Introduce your new resident to your community. Make them feel at home with the following:
- Tenant welcome letter – PDF version
- Staff introductions
- Map of the building with emergency exits indicated
- Important local numbers: hospitals, schools, pharmacies and emergency services
- Basics of the local town: map of area, public transportation, playgrounds and shopping options
- How-to tutorials on submitting maintenance requests and paying rent online
- Links and invitations to join your social media
- Instructions on contacting customer service
A tenant portal allows you to provide outstanding customer service securely and safely and will make life easier for you and your residents.
Latest posts by Theresa Bradley-Banta (see all)
- Offering Free Rent Concessions to Attract Tenants? Whoa, Not so Fast. - October 10, 2017
- 17 Creative Move-In Specials For Leasing Apartment Units - October 3, 2017
- Easy Property Winterization Steps – Get Ready for Winter! - September 27, 2017